Thursday, March 27, 2014

Review: Eye of Cat


Eye of Cat
Eye of Cat by Roger Zelazny

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Fondly remembered from my teenage years - last would have read this 25 years ago, at the latest - and I was glad to discover that I still love it. I like how Zelazny doesn't even try to explain the technologies that enable his story; he just gets on with the story. We never know how the trip boxes work, or when they were invented, or really know why Billy has lived so long (though we can guess it's because of all the space travel he's done, it's never explicitly spelled out.)

The story gets a little mystic in places. The bits of Navajo culture interspersed are obviously modernised or adapted - which fits perfectly with what I know of the adaptability of Navajo culture, so it felt genuine even where it was obviously made up.

I will always hold a place in my heart for Zelazny, and though I can understand why some say his later works don't quite live up to his early promise, this too was one of his later works, and it is very fine indeed.



View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home