Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Review: Black Dogs

Black Dogs Black Dogs by Richard Lee Byers
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Transcript of roleplaying game.

This is the first in a series, supposedly, but it completely fails to introduce the characters or the world - which might be fine for true fanboys of the Warmachine universe, but I am not one, despite having played the game and read a few books. Maybe their target audience for this book is those fans who already know and recognize everything. Nothing is described. I am left with a vague notion of what maybe half of the characters look like, and no idea whatsoever how this city could possibly exist. It's in a swamp, so the buildings are constantly sinking... and then what? Falling through the ceilings of massive multi-story caverns big enough to be battlefields for giant robots, and landing intact? In these caverns under the swamp? That makes no sense at all. Give me some hand-waving magic explanation and I'll take it in stride in this genre, but you don't get to not even mention it...

The action scenes are workmanlike, and the writing style isn't awful (just nonfunctional) so I'll grudgingly give it 2 stars.

View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home