Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Review: The Warrior's Apprentice

The Warrior's Apprentice The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've read the essay from Bujold about reading these in chronological order, and I'll put myself out there and say I think she's wrong. Yes, about her own books. Because I read the first three (chronologically) and thought they were fine but unenthralling (see my reviews of Falling Free, Shards of Honor, and Barrayar) mostly because they didn't feel like complete stories - they felt like the prequels to _this_ book, which is great. If I were recommending an order (having not finished the series yet myself) I'd have to go with starting here, reading the next chronologically (The Vor Game) and then at some point after that backtracking to the "prequels".

Fairly classic coming-of-age story to begin, but our hero is physically-impaired but brilliant. The way that he cons everyone into following him is perhaps a tad unbelievable, but entirely enjoyable. I'd probably have called this 4.5, but I'm rounding up for the enjoyment of the whole series so far.

View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home