Monday, December 09, 2019

Review: A Little Hatred

A Little Hatred A Little Hatred by Joe Abercrombie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

As usual for Abercrombie, this is well-crafted gritty fantasy. Back in the First Law series he had a technique of skipping from PoV character to character in the middle of the action, but having them coincidentally echo each others lines. It was clever there, but almost a bit too much so. Here he's swapped to switching between PoV characters involved in the same scene - suddenly seeing the same scene through a differing perspective - and it really works with this story. One danger: in the past the author re-used a lot of characters from one book / series to another, but was always careful to re-introduce them, so having read the other books was not critical. He's largely given up on that here. I read this having not read any Abercrombie in a couple of years, and I struggled a bit to remember things I was obviously supposed to know about certain characters. I figured things out eventually, but I had to go back and re-read First Law to get a few things to really gell.

View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home