Monday, August 18, 2014

Review: Dauntless


Dauntless
Dauntless by Jack Campbell

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Big-scale military space opera. I enjoyed this a fair bit, because I like that sort of thing, but didn't think this was exceptionally well or badly written. The beginning was a bit abrupt - would have liked a little backstory before getting dropped in the action. I also laughed myself silly at the scene where a bunch of hardened military professionals, who live in a universe with interstellar travel and no known intelligent alien races, glance at a computer in a mothballed enemy base and say: "They wiped the hard drives? Space Aliens!".

(For the record, when I cleaned up an old home computer for disposal this weekend, I wiped the drive because it was the easiest way to clean it up. No aliens were involved.)

But the fleet battles are intricate and interesting and well-described, and the book rollocks along. Light but fun.



View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home